Sunday, March 27, 2011

Unexpected Branches Chapter 33

I just wanted to let you guys know that I used my iPod touch to post this so please excuse and crappy grammar.




Jordan's pov

I let myself into the house and heard the sound of hysterical laughter that sounded like it was coming from the living room. I expected to find Mel with one of the girls but instead I found her sitting on the couch by herself looking at something on her laptop. She turned and greeted me and of course I had to ask her what was so funny. She patted the spot next to her and when I sat down she turned the computer so it was facing me. It only took a minute of reading to figure out what I was looking at. It was one of those websites where girls posted things about the girlfriends and wives and about things that these girls had supposedly done with whatever guy the particular board was about.
" You do know that 99 percent of the stuff that these girls post is total fantasy right?" I asked her. She rolled her eyes and gave me that look that she liked to give me when I had said something obvious.
" I know Sherlock. That's what is so funny. You got to give these girls credit they are pretty creative. This is my favorite one." she said pointing to a post toward the bottom. I started to read it and it was my turn to roll my eyes. This girl was claiming that I had slept with a friend of hers and got her pregnant and that was why I was going to get married so quickly.
" Why are you even looking at this crap." I grumbled a little more grumpy than I intended. She looked a little bit surprised by my reaction.
" Well I knew that it had gotten out to the media and when you were so vague with that reporter yesterday I knew people were going to be talking about it and I was curious." she explained while watching me.
" Just do us both a favor and stay off this. It's nothing but a bunch of stupid teenagers who have nothing better to do with their time then to try and ruin other peoples reputations." I saw a flash in her eyes and I knew instantly that she didn't like me telling her to not do something. I opened my mouth to apologize but she didn't give me a chance.
" Just for the record I'm a grown ass women and I can do whatever the hell I want and frankly I find it offensive that you think I would be stupid enough to believe everything that I read.
Shit now she was pissed. I knew I needed to make this right as quickly as possible. She shoved the laptop off onto the couch and went to get up. I grabbed her by the wrist and tried to pull her back down. She was being stubborn and tried to resist at first but I had the advantage of being stronger and finally she relented and let me pull her onto my lap. She still had that look on her face that let me know that she wasn't going to let me off easy. I brushed her hair back and kissed her neck softly.
"I'm sorry for being such an ass. I've had a lot on my mind lately. Do you forgive me?" I asked in my best I'm sorry voice. She didn't say anything and I kissed her neck again and I felt her relaxing against me. She tilted her head and let me kiss her again and I took that as a silent apology accepted. We sat in comfortable silence and I was tempted to tell her the secret that I had been keeping for the last few days but before I had the chance she turned her head and kissed me and I forgot about anything else.

Mel's pov
Jordan had been acting moody and weird the last couple of days and I couldn't figure out what was going on. It started with a phonecall that he excused himself to take which he had never done before. I wanted to ask him what was wrong but I figured that he would tell me sooner or later. The wedding was only a few days away and I was getting excited but I was nervous at the same time. I left to hang out with the girls and to make sure all of the details were taken care of before the big day. I was worn out and I went home earlier then I originally planned. The door was open so I let myself in. I heard Jordans voice coming from the kitchen. I went to say hi to him but I stopped short.
" I plan on telling her but I just don't know how shes going to take it." I heard him tell whoever it was he was talking too. I knew it wasn't right but I couldn't help but stand there and listen. This was my chance to find out what was going on.
" What am I suppose to say? Hey I hired someone to find your mom but shes dead and you have a younger sister? I don't want to upset her so close to the big day."
All of the air left my lungs as my brain processed what I had just heard. I dropped my purse as tears started to fall down my face.
"Hold on a minute." I heard him say. Part of me wanted to run but I felt like I was rooted to where I was standing. He came around the corner and his eyes got huge.
"Eric I have to go." he said quickly into the phone before hanging up. I still couldn't say anything but I had a million questions running through my mind.
" Tell me what you found out." I said in a voice barely above a whisper
" The PI I hired to look onto it called a few days ago with information. He told me that after she left Canada that she moved to Oregon and eventually married a man named Jarrett Stoner. Two years later they had a daughter. She died a few years ago. It was breast cancer."
I swallowed but it was painful as I tried to keep the tears from really coming but that didn't last long when he came over and wrapped his arms around me. That was all it took and I started to sob. After everything that happened I guess I had always thought it in the back of my mind that I would have the chance to see her again but now I knew that wasn't going to happen and it made me sad. I finally got myself under control.
"What's her name?" I asked as I pulled away.
He hesitated for a few seconds but he finally answered.
"Jane. Jane Mcintire. I have her number if you want to get a hold of her." he said like he was waiting for me to yell at him or something.
" I don't know Jordan. I just need some time to think about everything okay." He nodded his head and told me that he would support me whatever I decided to do.
"I was going to tell you but I didn't want to upset you before the wedding. I really hated keeping secrets from you though." I knew he had meant well and as upset as I was I couldn't blame him. I kissed him and let him know and he looked relieved. I told him that he better get upstairs to nap before his pregame routine was ruined. He asked me to lay down with him and even though I wasn't tired I didn't want to be alone so I agreed. I curled up beside him but I couldn't sleep. I started to wonder about this girl that until today I had known nothing about. I wondered what she looked like and what kind of person she was. Even though I told Jordan that I wasn't sure what I wanted to do I knew that I was going to have to meet this women.

2 comments:

  1. Great Update! I'm sad that her mom passed away but Jordan is so sweet. I love that he hired a PI to find her mom and the fact that he kept the news a secret not to upset her before the wedding is just too considerate of him.
    I hope she meets her sister and everything else goes well.
    Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! just found this story and spent part of yesterday and today reading it. Loved it by the wy. hope you update it soon

    ReplyDelete